Sunday, January 27, 2013

Medical Procedures

In about March of last year, I developed a cyst on the side of my face.  Thinking it would eventually go away on its own, I didn't do anything about it.  By December, it still hadn't gone away and it would sting everytime I washed my face or Clara bumped it when laying her head on my shoulder.  So, I saw my general practitioner and he referred me to a plastic surgeon.  Given that the cyst was on a "noticeable" part of my body, he said I'd be better off having a plastic surgeon remove it.  I got an appointment earlier this month and had it removed on January 15th.  I went this past Tuesday to have the stitches removed, and I have to wear the "Steri-strips" for another 3 weeks (mainly to prevent it from reopening in case it gets bumped).  Besides the little stings from the numbing shots, it didn't hurt at all.  I didn't even feel him remove the stitches on Tuesday.  It's so nice to have it gone.  I wish I had done it sooner!  The pathology results returned as benign, and it ended up being a type of cyst that is more commonly found on the leg from an injury.  Strange, huh?

This past Thursday, I took the girls to see their pediatric electrophysiologist to have their annual EKG's one.  Both reports came back just fine, but when the doctor listened to Hailey's heart, she heard an irregular heartbeat.  This prompted the need for her to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours to make sure everything was okay.  Irregular heartbeats are very common but it's always better to be safe than sorry, right?  I think I even have one, and my sister said that the doctor (we see the same one) thought she also heard an irregular heartbeat in my niece, Laura (she had to wear a Holter monitor as well and everything turned out to be fine).  So, must be another thing that runs in the family!  Praise the Lord for heart specialists!

  
Before and after.  I circled the cyst in the top picture so you knew where to look.

Hailey wearing her Holter monitor.  The electrodes were placed under each arm, at the top of her chest, and in the middle between her rib cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment