Hailey had a 4-H meeting on Monday night. Now that we have been to a couple meetings and events for the year so far, I'm beginning to understand a little more of how the Cloverbuds are handled in this specific group. My biggest complaint has been the lack of communication in explaining which events are to be attended by both the Clovers and Cloverbuds and which ones are for the Clovers only. I sent another email to the main leader (as the Cloverbuds leader does not communicate via email or phone) and she finally realized that this was the first year she had Cloverbuds without an older sibling in Clovers. Um, maybe it's just me, but don't you always try to welcome everyone to your group and pay attention to details like this from the very first day? Then everything started to make sense. During the meetings, the Cloverbuds and Clovers meet together to discuss "business matters" and then the Cloverbuds break off into a separate room to do a small activity for 30-35 minutes. So far, these small activities have been making a friendship bracelet (which the leader made while the kids watched), making a turkey out of fabric and buttons (again, the leader had assembled everything prior to the meeting and the kids just had to pick out which combination they wanted glued together), and painting a picture of a snowman using water color paints. The leader said that all of these projects can be displayed at the fair in July.
Well, what is the point of having them display something they didn't even make? So, we will stick with it for this year, but I may consider having her do something different for the next couple years until she turns 8 and can be in regular 4-H. I'm sort of disappointed, because I was really looking forward to having her experience the fun that I had in 4-H (to me, baking and gardening can definitely be done by 5 year olds, but supposedly Cloverbuds don't do individual projects, just group projects). We'll see how the rest of the year goes, though!
Hailey & Laura (to the left of her) work on painting their snowman pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment