Monday, August 10, 2015

Uncle Jim

I've never been very good with words, so this post will not even come close to expressing what a wonderful person my Uncle Jim was.  I think what our family experienced this past weekend at his visitation and funeral was a true testament to how many people he touched during his life.  My Aunt Judy stood for four and a half hours straight accepting condolences at the visitation on Friday.  The line finally started to shorten just 10 minutes before the visitation was to end.  She said each person had something to tell her about him.  I kept thinking that I'm not sure I have had even 2,000 acquaintances over my lifetime let alone that many people that would have stories of how I touched their lives.  He cared deeply, loved deeply, strived for what was good and right, and knew what mattered the most in this world.  He was a quiet leader, never boastful and never condescending.  I know all of my family feels honored to have had him as an uncle, father, husband, brother, or grandfather.  We are so grateful for the many wonderful memories we have of him...and there are many!  Until we meet again, Uncle Jim.

My cousin, Allison, sister, brother, and me on Uncle Jim's lap at a family Christmas celebration in 1983.

Apparently I found his lap too comfortable to get up after the picture was taken!

Uncle Jim reads a book to Hailey in June 2009.  I am so glad my girls got to know him.

My mom gives a hug to her high school band instructor, John Clayton.  He and his wife, who are in their 80's, came to express their condolences at the visitation.

A picture with my mom's cousin, Ann Jeanette.

After the visitation, family and close friends gathered at a local restaurant to have a bite to eat.  The owners are friends with Uncle Jim and Aunt Judy.  These are the 10 cousins...offspring of my mom and her siblings.  We all grew up more as siblings than we did cousins!

Uncle Vince colors with his nieces...Clara, Emily, Hailey, and Natalie.

My cousins, Allison and Chris, documenting (not the first time!) their inside family joke.

Allison shows her mom and aunts a picture on her phone.

L to R: Aunt Shelley, Aunt Penny, Aunt Judy, my mom, and Uncle Allan.

My cousin, Jill's son, Dylan, Vince, cousin Jay, Jay's son Trey, and my dad at the restaurant.

Family picture before the funeral.

The funeral was held at the Goodrich Chapel on Albion College's campus.

Honor Guard and police presence.

L to R: Adam, Clara, Hailey, Laura, Natalie, Emily

Hailey, Clara, Laura, and Delaney (my cousin, Allison's daughter)

Emily, Laura, Clara, Hailey, Delaney, Ben (Allison's son), and Natalie.

My cousin, Jay, and his good friend, Mill, play some football with their sons in Uncle Jim and Aunt Judy's back yard after the funeral.

Allison's son, Ben, finds a new way to relax at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment