Sunday, August 23, 2015

Peach Jam & Fort Valley Peach Cobbler

We picked up some Red Haven peaches on our way out of Michigan a couple weekends ago.  I didn't get enough to can since I knew we would be out of town for the following week.  It was probably good I didn't though, since they were $1.50 a pound!  We did eat several of them...so juicy and sweet...but I still had some left that I didn't want to go bad.  So, I canned 7 half-pints of peach jam and made Fort Valley Peach Cobbler (a recipe from my mom and Aunt Shelley) with them on Friday.  Both are absolutely delicious!!

Here is the recipe for the cobbler: Combine 3/4 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, dash of salt, and 3/4 cup milk into a batter.  In a deep dish, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.  Pour batter into the middle of the melted butter, don't stir.  Pour 2 cups of sliced peaches (frozen, fresh, or canned) and 1 cup of sugar into the middle of the batter, don't stir.  Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Serve warm or cold.

Here's what the batter looked like before placing in the oven.

And afterwards!  Put a couple spoons of vanilla ice cream on the top of a serving when the cobbler is still warm.  Delish!

Jam all cooked and ready for processing.

I had two extra half-pints (and about 2 tablespoons) that went into the refrigerator.  They won't last long!

All finished processing and being labeled.  They are now in the basement for storage!

No comments:

Post a Comment