Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rough Year for the Garden

Every year is different when gardening.  This year has not been a very good one so far.  May and June brought lots of rain and cool temperatures.  I stopped by the Master Gardeners booth yesterday at the fair and they confirmed that it wasn't just my garden suffering.  This past week has been hot and dry, so the plants are finally taking off, but I'm still harvesting very little.  Little is definitely better than nothing, though!

Took these onions out the other day.  I really would have liked them to be a bit larger, but not bad for our first year of growing them!

The largest bulb was the one second from left.

I've taken off only 6 pickling cucumbers so far.

Sunflowers growing among the green beans.

Bell peppers.

Carrots next to Chamomile and more Sunflowers.

Broccoli and cauliflower.  Still waiting on the cauliflower and we've harvested one small bunch of broccoli.

Brandywine tomatoes.  These plants are usually much taller than this by now!

Next to the garlic is our cherry tomato plant.  Usually we are swimming in cherry tomatoes by now!  There are a few growing on there, but not even close to ripening yet.

Non-pickling cucumbers.  Nothing to harvest yet.

Watermelon plants below the sunflowers.  They are still growing, but have yet to produce any fruit.

Zucchini...yet to harvest even one.  This is another one we are usually picking several by now.

I took the garlic out today to cure.  It sure smells good!

The sunflowers were once again planted by the chipmunks, but we are enjoying their beauty!

The Amish paste tomatoes have lots of fruit on them...one is starting to ripen, too!  Can't wait to taste them!

There are some good sized Brandywine tomatoes on the vine despite the plant not being very tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment