Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Laura Ingalls Wilder Day Camp

We signed Hailey up for the Laura Ingalls Wilder Day Camp at Old World Wisconsin as we are currently reading the Little House on the Prairie books.  She had a great time!  They got to make cornbread, churn butter, deliver packages, play games (of that time period), make a button bracelet, and decorate an apple as they would for Christmas.  At least that's what I've gotten out of her so far!  This past week, I made a dress and apron for her to wear, but the bonnet was purchased.  I was very happy with how it turned out.  Clara and I walked around separate from the day camp and had a great time as well!  We watched a play about Caroline Ingalls, tried some sugar cookies, pet some horses, took lots of pictures, dressed up in period clothing, and took our time learning from the interpreters.  It was a very fun day!

All ready for a fun day!

They put all of their lunch and other items in a bucket as this is what Laura would have used to carry things in instead of a bag.

Clara was trying to catch the many cabbage moths flying around.

Smelling the pretty flowers.

Part of her group on their way to the general store to pick up some packages.

The general store.

Off to deliver the packages.

First delivery goes to the church.  It must be a heavy package!

Clara wanted so much to be walking around and doing the camp with Hailey.  I told her she could do it, too, when she got old enough.

They decorated an apple with cloves as Laura would have done at Christmas-time.

Some of the butter they made.

The weather was beautiful...upper 70's, breezy, partly cloudy.  And the scenery is always wonderful!

This is a Victorian era sewing kit that is hooked onto the interpreter's apron.  Pin cushion, thread bag, scissors, and needle book.  I thought that was neat!

The Yankee house had period clothing you could try on.  Clara was so excited and didn't want to take it off!  Here she is in a dress, petticoat, and bonnet.

Helping the interpreter in the kitchen.

Carrying some griddle cakes.

One more thing usually added to the outfit when working or playing was the apron.

I think wheat fields are so pretty (as well as the little girl in this picture!).

Finally reunited with her sister at the end of camp.

Happy to be sitting down and resting her feet.  People didn't do a lot of sitting back then like we do now!

Riding the tram back up to the welcome center.

No comments:

Post a Comment