Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten!

Hailey's first big day of Kindergarten was on Friday.  She had a "meet your teacher and see your classroom" day on Thursday for an hour, but her official first day was Friday.  She asked me a couple times in the morning when school was going to start.  I think she was excited but nervous.  At the bus stop, she met a little girl in her class, Kendra, who lives down the street from us.  So far, she and Kendra are the only two that get on at our bus stop.  The bus got there and she got right on...no hesitation at all!  School got out at 3:15, but because it was the first day for Kindergarteners and the 1st graders also ride home on her bus, they didn't get back home until 3:45.  I asked her how her first day went and she said, "Good."  I said, "What did you do?"  She said, "I don't remember."  That was basically the answer to almost every question I asked her after that, too.  She did manage to remember that a little boy got his paper hand put on the board for talking out loud.  I'll be looking forward to hearing more about what she's learning as time goes on.  I didn't cry at all when she left on the bus...talking to Kendra's mom was a distraction...but I did feel excited, sad, and nervous all wrapped up in one.  Excited that she's getting to experience all the fun parts of learning and for who she's going to become.  Sad that her days of pure innocence and no responsibility are over, as well as sad for not having her home for almost 4 hours each day.  Nervous for what she'll think and how she'll do.  But I know she will do well, because I happen to think she is one of the best little girls ever! :-)

Brian's parents came up for a visit on Saturday to see the girls and get some school clothes for Hailey.  A Hailey funny from that day...Brian's mom and Hailey were walking behind Clara and me as we were leaving the store and Hailey says to Margo, "Grandma, does my butt do what Mommy's does when I walk?"  Then she proceeds to run ahead of Clara and me to demonstrate how it looks.  Oh my (I'm shaking my head).  Who knew that my 5 year old daughter would be the one to now make me self-conscious about how my butt looks when I walk??  I know Grandma got a good laugh out of that one!  Grandma also found Hailey some cute "cow-girl" boots, as Hailey calls them, to wear when the weather gets colder.  They look so cute on her.

Today was a rainy day, so I worked a lot on my genealogy project.  Making progress!

  On Monday's stormy afternoon, we made "Thunder Cake" from Patricia Polacco's Book "Thunder Cake".

This was how it turned out.  It did taste as good as it looked!

We did a small project at school on Thursday during Hailey's meet the teacher day.

Having fun getting messy!

 Standing in the reading area of her classroom.  This cute outfit (along with the handmade hair bow) she got from Grammy.

 With her new teacher, Mrs. Summerville.

 Her first official day of school as a Kindergartener!

Hailey and Daddy

 Hailey and Mommy

Clara and Hailey

On her way to the school bus.

Getting on the bus!

Back from her first day!

 Her new outfit and "cow-girl" boots from Grandma and Grandpa.

Her new "Girls Only" sign from Grandma and Grandpa above her swingset door.

Hailey helping Clara walk through the grass.

 
Clara was having a lot of fun trying to "hide" from Daddy in this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment