Monday, December 6, 2010

Walnut Room & Christkindlmarket

On Sunday, we took at 9 am train downtown to enjoy some of Chicago's Christmas festivities.  We had a great time!!  We headed over to Macy's (previously Marshall Fields) to get our name in for lunch in the Walnut Room.  We were hoping for an 11:00 seating, but instead got a 12:30.  So, we walked around the store for a while and looked at the windows on the outside (this year's theme was "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus").  They must have the seatings down to a science, because we were actually seated and had drinks and rolls at our table by 12:35.  The food was great!  I had a Strawberry Salad and Brian had Asiago Chicken.  The waiter gave us their 2010 souvenir mugs for free.  They also had snow fairies visiting tables with kids.  She sprinkled North Pole dust on the girls' heads while they closed their eyes and made a wish.  Then she gave them a special North Pole wishing stone.  The girls loved it!

Since we got a later seating at the Walnut Room, our time at Christkindlmarket got cut a little short.  The girls got to visit Santa and we walked around looking at the handmade ornaments and gifts.  A group of high school students were caroling through the crowd.  It reminded me of caroling I did with my high school choir.  Those were some of the best days of my life!


We took the 2:35 train back home.  Not too long after we got settled, a group of teenagers got on our cart (up on the top level).  It turned out to be the carolers!  We were entertained with music three quarters of the way home (their stop was a few before ours).  What a treat!!  I was in seventh heaven, wishing I could have joined them singing!  It just topped off a great day!

A funny Hailey story...We took a cab from Union Station over to Macy's and Hailey was sitting so she could see through the little window between the front and back seats.  The cab driver had turned his head to say, "Oh, you're so cute!  Are you going to see...?"  Before he could finish his sentence, she said, "Green light!" very matter of fact.  He said, "Oh, you want me to go now?"  She nodded her head. :-)  She was in a hurry I guess!

 Watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" on the train there.

Looking at the windows.

One of the windows...you can see Hailey's & my reflection to the left.

  Getting ready to eat at the Walnut Room.

The tree was beautiful this year!
I took a short video of the tree, because we loved how the icicle lights looked like they were dropping down the tree.
Hailey & Laura with the snow fairy.

I love this picture of Laura with Hailey in the background practicing closing her eyes (while trying to peek watching Laura get North Pole dust on her hair).

Hailey's turn...she forgot to close her eyes! :-)


 Visiting the Christkindlmarket.

Hailey was trying to sing along with the carolers as you'll see in this video.  She loves to sing!  Just like her mommy! :-)
We celebrated the 2nd week in Advent last night.

2 comments:

  1. OH Linds....I loved this post! It is so nice to see your whole family! Love the trip into Chicago and then the carolers...reminds me of YOU! H. is just the most beautiful gift from God....Your last picture could be sent to hallmark and made into a Christmas card...I would buy it!!!

    Much love,
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, P! I agree with you that Hailey is the most beautiful gift from God! She has been such a blessing in our lives! I'm sure you can relate with your four beautiful blessings, too!

    Miss you!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete