Friday, January 8, 2016

Great Horned Owl

Last Sunday, we had been to the grocery store right before dinner-time when on the way back, we spotted a herd of deer in a nearby field.  There was a big buck in the herd that I thought would be neat to photograph.  However, by the time we drove 2 minutes home to get my camera and 2 minutes back, he was gone.  Just then, though, I saw a large bird fly onto the top of a tall pine tree.  At first I thought it was a hawk, but when I looked closer, I realized it was a Great Horned owl.  I'd never been able to photograph one in the daylight before.  Daylight was fleeting, so I got the best pictures I could, and then he flew off.

Earlier that day, my mom and I had been discussing a Pothos plant that I had been watering at our house for my parents while they moved.  The plant basket was from my grandfather's funeral from 14 years ago.  I had asked if I could throw it away, because it was growing out of control.  My mom mentioned that yes, I could, but I could also cut off a couple of the vines, put them in a glass of water, and put them in the window to grow new roots.  She said that was what her mom used to do.  So, we have two vines in the window right now!

My mom and I think that every time we see an owl, it has been when we've been discussing my grandparents (her parents) and it's God's way of letting us know they are with us.  We think this one I saw on Sunday was probably my grandfather, Bompa, since we had just been discussing him that morning.  The last time I saw a Great Horned owl was two days before Clara was born.  There was a pair of them in a tree right across the street from our house.  See this past blog post: Busy, Busy, Busy! from October 2011.  I was convinced then that it was my grandparents as I know they would have been very excited about the birth of another one of their great-grandchildren.  I often wish they were still alive for our kids to enjoy.  But with God's promise of an eternal life, I know one day they will get to enjoy them!  I'm definitely looking forward to more owl visits!

Two Pothos vines now sitting in the window.





No comments:

Post a Comment