Thursday, January 21, 2016

Little House On The Prairie Quilt: Block 1

Follow along with the girls and I while we read through the Little House On The Prairie books, create 2-3 quilt blocks per book of things we liked from that book, and then put all the blocks together at the end to make a quilt!  I wish I could claim this idea as my own, but I actually found it online.  I thought it was the perfect keepsake for remembering our time reading them together!  

For quilt block #1, the book is Little House In The Big Woods.  This is from their time living in Pepin, Wisconsin.  We chose a bear, because it reminded us of two funny things from the chapter "Two Big Bears".  The first was when Pa was going to town to trade his furs, he came upon what he thought was a bear standing on his hind legs (it was dark, so he couldn't tell for sure).  He grabbed a fallen tree branch and charged at the bear.  He brought the tree branch down on top of its head and then realized "the bear" was only a broken tree stump!  The other funny part was when Ma and Laura had gone out one evening (while Pa had gone to town) to milk the cow.  It was also dark and they saw a shadow of what they thought was the cow that had somehow escaped from the barnyard.  The cow was blocking the gate, so Ma reached across and slapped its shoulder and said, "Sukey, get over!"  Except, it wasn't the cow, it was a big black bear!

I used a Bear Claw quilt pattern and then appliqued on a bear.

Stay tuned for block #2!



No comments:

Post a Comment