Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lake House Trip

This was our third trip up to my parents' lake house this year.  My most favorite time to go up there is in the Fall.  It is just breathtaking beautiful!  We got there late Thursday night and boy was it windy!!  The sound of the strong wind blowing the leaves and branches was really neat to hear but a little unsettling.  Especially when it's dark outside!  My parents joined us on this trip as well.

Despite the wind and chilly temperatures in the forecast for Friday, we all rode together up to Bayfield...a town right on the shoreline of Lake Superior.  They have several apple orchards within miles of each other.  The one we like to go to is called Sunset Valley Orchard.  They have beautiful views on their property!  We picked "Fireside" apples and bought some pre-picked "Honey Gold" as they had none left to pick.  I would say that Honey Gold is my new favorite as an eating apple, but I think McIntosh and Courtland work best in pies and crisps.  We took a few pictures of the beautiful views, stopped at a winery, and then headed back to Lac Du Flambeau.  On our way back, I saw an eagle fly out of a tree and land along the side of the road.  We slowed down and pulled into a parking lot across the street so Brian could get out and take some pictures.  There ended up being two eagles (one a juvenile which blended into the trees so well that Brian was unable to get a picture of him) that were trying to get at a deer carcass in a ditch.  It was so neat to see them so close!

We spent much of the day inside on Saturday as it was the chilliest day...upper 30's, windy, and with on and off snow showers.  My mom and I went to a quilt shop in the morning, and while my parents and Brian worked on making a turkey dinner in the early afternoon, I worked on a quilted Fall table runner.  I just have the backing, quilting, and binding left to do.  I like how it turned out! 

We ventured outside a little more on Sunday as the sun was out.  It was still quite chilly and windy, but as long as you were protected from the wind, it wasn't bad.  We took a little nature walk in the afternoon collecting leaves and taking pictures.  We brought the leaves back to the house and then Hailey and I used Mod Podge on them to create a sealant (similar to using wax paper and an iron) over them, an idea I found online.  We can now use them as decorations.  My mom and Hailey sewed a sachet of pine needles that smelled really good to start out with, but by the next day didn't smell anything like pine needles.  We thought that was strange that the scent would change so quickly.

We left around 12:30 on Monday and got home around 6 pm.  I don't think Hailey wanted to leave initially, but during the last hour of the trip home, she kept asking every five minutes if we were still driving in Wisconsin.  She was ready to be home (or just get out of the car)!

 
 Picking the Fireside apples at Sunset Valley Orchard.

Daddy helps Clara pick an apple, too.

A close-up of the Fireside apples.

My mom helps Hailey reach an apple up high.

She loves apples and will eat them to the core!

Having fun picking apples!

Gorgeous views from the orchard.  I love how the sunlight highlights a section of color in the upper left.

I could totally see myself owning an orchard...especially one like this!

Isn't that tree in the middle just beautiful?

This picture might look a little familiar, because it is the barn I used to take my Fall barn picture of a couple years ago.  I wanted to try taking another picture this time with my newer camera, but I still like the other one, because there were more leaves on the trees and apples on the tree to the right.  I do love both of them, though.

 
Leaving Bayfield...not really wanting to, though!

 
Our national bird.  So awesome to see every time!

 
Snow collecting on the cars and if you look closely enough, you can see it flying in the air.

 
Why do children always have a fascination with licking windows?  She did this several times throughout the weekend!

 
The sun would pop out from behind the clouds in between snow showers and highlight sections of the trees.  Such a beautiful sight!

Clara wanted to desperately play outside with Hailey, so we put her shoes and coat on and off she went.  She kept trying to walk (on a mission) towards the pier as if she thought we were going for a boat ride.  It was really funny!

A large snow shower moves its way across the lake.

 Out for our nature walk on Sunday.
 
Photo opportunity!

Mommy, this is a little difficult holding a leaf with a mitten on!

My dad helps with the girls so I can take some pictures.

I might have to frame this picture...a fallen log covered in leaves and ferns.  I love it!

Daddy joined us after a little while and helped Clara get some leaves.

Hailey with her collection.

 Gorgeous views!
 
 Beautiful colors!

Bringing the boat (and outdoor chairs and table) up to the garage for the winter.

The neighbors had a pinata that was not used at a party, so they brought it up to the lake.  Each child got to hit it twice.  We went through two whole rounds before the older boys finally broke through.  It was really funny to watch!

The neighbors/parents laugh at the kids taking a hard swing at thin air because of one of the dads raising it up for fun.

Beautiful sunset on Sunday evening.

Using the Mod Podge to seal the leaves.  Hailey really enjoyed doing this.

Waiting to dry.  The orange one in the middle was dry and ready for the other side to be sealed.

The top of the table runner.  Can't wait to get the rest done!

It was a little warmer on Monday, so we were able to take a few more pictures.

So cute!
   
~You are observing special days and months and seasons and years!~ Galations 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment