Sunday, August 21, 2011

Odds and Ends

We've had a somewhat productive weekend.  "Somewhat" only because there was at least one project I wanted to get started but was not able to get around to it.  I was able to finish our honeymoon scrapbook on Friday morning and get our large crop of green beans frozen (for future meals) in the afternoon.  On Saturday morning, we canned peaches (as you saw in the previous post), and I got my hair trimmed.  While we canned peaches, Hailey kept busy painting some pictures.  Once back from the hair cut, I put together a peach pie.  The recipe is very simple...5 cups sliced peaches, 1 cup sugar, 3 T flour, and 1/4 t nutmeg.  Mix together and pour into pie crust.  Dot with 2 T margarine.  Top with pie crust and bake 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  When using the Red Haven peaches, this pie is sooo delicious!




We spent a little time outside harvesting some tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and our first carrot from the garden.  Then I copied some genealogy documents from my great aunt that I needed to get returned to her while Brian and Hailey did a little fishing.


On Sunday, I put Hailey's hair up in sponge curlers.  I was testing out a hair-do for her to wear for my brother's upcoming wedding, since she (and her cousin, Laura) is a flower girl.  I let the hair dry for over two hours and even used a blow dryer on them, but since her hair is so long, the bottom parts of the hair did not completely dry and it didn't work.  So, I decided to take her to get a hair cut to lessen the amount of hair we need to roll into the curler.  That turned out to not be such a good idea.  Well, it would have been if I had decided to take her somewhere other than Great Clips.  I could have easily done what the lady there did (and probably done it better!).  I told her I wanted her hair cut just past her shoulders.  Well, it ended up right AT her shoulders.  So frustrating!!!  I won't be taking her there again, and hopefully I'll still be able to figure something out for the wedding.


Curler attempt

After the hair cut
A Hailey funny...on Saturday early morning, our cat woke Hailey up at 3:30 am.  So, Hailey ended up coming down to our room so quietly that I didn't know she was down there until I switched positions in bed and felt my hand touch something at the side of our bed.  Yeah, that made my heart race a little.  I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Mommy, I saw a star in the sky!"  She was so wide awake you would have thought it was the middle of the day!  Our cat had jumped onto the window sill in our room, so Hailey had walked over to pet her and continue star-gazing.  I honestly thought I was dreaming, it was so unlike her to be that awake.  She eventually fell back asleep and then slept until after 9 am!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment