Sunday, October 24, 2010

Guiding Star

When I was over at my parents' house last weekend, I picked up a VHS tape of a church Christmas play that my sister & I participated in when I was in 6th grade.  I wanted to get it transferred to a DVD to prevent it from going bad over time.  The play is called, "Wise Guys and Starry Skies".  It's written by Kathie Hill and its script and music won a Dove award in 1989.  It centers around a young boy who wants to become a wise man.  Our performance of it was on December 17, 1989 (I can hardly believe this was 21 years ago!).  Hailey & I sat down to watch it while it was transferring and Hailey really enjoyed it.  Her favorite song seemed to be "Take a Step of Faith".  The chorus goes, "Take a step of faith, take a step of faith.  When you can't see your hand in front of your face, take a step of faith.  With no star to guide your way, God's still beside you saying take a step of faith, just take a step of faith."  I love all the music in it, but two of my favorites are "When I See the King" and "My Gift is Me".  You can hear samples and download the entire album on Amazon.com.  Here's "My Gift is Me" from our performance (I'm really in this video...just hidden behind the camel):


The lyrics are: "What I have to give to you cannot be bought or sold.  It can't be wrapped up in a box or tied with strings of gold.  It isn't perfect and you'll see it isn't even new, but Jesus it's the only treasure I can give to you.  Me, my gift is me.  All I am, all I'll ever be.  I'm not ashamed for the world to see, that it's me, my gift is me.  Jesus, you're the greatest gift the world will ever know.  Coming down from Heaven just to live Your love below.  With all that you have done for me, the least that I can do, is give all that I know of me to all I know of you.  Me, my gift is me.  All I am, all I'll ever be.  I'm not ashamed for the world to see, that it's me, my gift is me.  Of all the gifts man could give, it's nice to know, that I can give His favorite gift, the one that thrills Him so.  Me, my gift is me.  All I am, all I'll ever be.  I'm not ashamed for the world to see that it's me, my gift is me.  Yes it's me, my gift is me."

The videographer also included our pastor's sermon and as I was listening to it, it reminded me of a recent conversation I had with my mom about wanting to find a church with a good youth program.  I really feel that children are exposed to so much more today than I was growing up and the need for them to know what is TRUE and REAL in this world is even more important now.

First he talks about guiding stars:

 

Then he talks about each of US being a guiding star:


He's right, Brian & I are most definitely a very important part of being Hailey's (as well as any future children we have) guiding star.  You can bet we will devote the rest of our lives to it, because we would love to one day be reunited with her (them) in Heaven.

1 comment: