I picked the last of the season's rhubarb off the plant and sliced it into small pieces. I also washed and hulled the strawberries.
The recipe called for a pint of each fruit plus 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of sugar. I definitely had a lot more than 1 pint, so I ended up with 3/4 cup and 6 tablespoons of sugar. I brought this to a boil and then simmered it for 15 minutes.
Next step was processing the mixture until it was smooth.
I spread the mixture out onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper (it supposedly works better than wax paper or plastic wrap) into a thin layer (the thicker the layer, the longer the drying time). I ended up with 4 large cookie sheets.
After about 10 hours of drying time at 170 degrees F, you get the fruit leather. I think I should have actually dried this for about 9 to 9.5 hours instead. You're supposed to be able to roll it up, but some of mine broke into pieces instead. The broken pieces were still chewy and not crunchy, but I don't think they are supposed to be that chewy. :-)
I put a piece of parchment paper in between each strip so that they all don't stick to one another.






No comments:
Post a Comment