Sunday, August 18, 2013

Picking Peaches

My favorite peach is the Michigan Red Haven.  So, in my opinion, it's worth the two and a half hour drive we have to make to get them!  We go to Nye's Apple Barn in St. Joseph, Michigan.  Brian's parents met us there yesterday and picked with us as well!  The cost was 99 cents per pound.  We picked a little more than a bushel (a bushel weighs about 50 pounds) and also bought some sweet corn and blueberries.  We can't wait to eat and can the peaches this week!  My mouth is watering right now!  After picking peaches, all of us walked a little downtown St. Joe, did some shoe shopping for the girls, and ate dinner at Applebee's before heading home.  The weather and day were perfect!

  
The orchard is right behind the barn.

It's also located right off I-94 at exit 27.

Picking peaches.  There were even ones hanging low to the ground that the girls could pick.

They smelled so good, too!

Clara "gently" sets some peaches in the basket.  I wish I could say she was gentle with all of them! :-)

Hailey picks a peach off.

Filling up the basket!

Laying them out to finish ripening.  I imagine we'll be canning in the next couple days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment