Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas, et al...

I'm way behind on posting...sorry!  Brian's dad came up last Tuesday and stayed until Thursday to help Brian finish the drywall for the sewing room.  My mom's friend, Greg, came on Wednesday to finish up the electrical work.  Now all that is left is the taping, mudding, and painting which should be finished by the first weekend in January!  Then I can start moving everything down there.  I can't wait!

A snow storm moved through on Thursday night cancelling Hailey's Daisy Scout meeting, even though we probably got only about an inch out of the whole thing!  However, that did allow us to arrive at my niece, Laura's birthday party a little earlier than anticipated.  My sister, Stephanie, and her family also came to the party, but my parents were stuck in Las Vegas (on a mini vacation) due to the storm.  They finally got home around 11 Friday night.  It sure is nice having Stacy, Doug, and Laura closer.  It makes it a lot easier for us all to get together!

Friday morning, Clara awoke with a 101.6 degree fever!  We knew that a nasty head cold and the flu were going around, and given that we were supposed to leave for Indiana that afternoon, I took her into the doctor to see if she had anything.  Turns out it was strep.  Highly contagious, too.  Brian's parents said it would be better if we came on Saturday after she'd have a round of antibiotics in her.  This worked out well, because I was behind in packing due to spending 2 hours at the doctor's office!  By the end of the day on Friday, Brian and I were feeling the effects of a head cold (Hailey had already been dealing with it from the beginning of the week).  Just in time for Christmas...yay!  Although, I would much rather have a head cold than the flu or stomach flu.

We left for Indiana around 9:30 on Saturday morning.  As soon as we arrived in town, Brian's parents took us to a store called Home Sweet Home, Too to let me pick out a birthday present.  Oh my, I could have purchased everything in the store!!  They had visited there earlier in the day and found that the store sold these paintings that I like (artist is Billy Jacobs).  I picked out two paintings (along with a few other decorative items) and while Brian's dad paid for those, I continued to browse.  I found a few more things, paid for them, put up blinders over my eyes, and unwillingly left the store. :-)  It's a good thing they were closing 10 minutes after that, because I'm sure I could have easily created an excuse to go back!  On Saturday evening, we drove over to a park that had a big Christmas lights display.  We put on coats, hats, and gloves and walked through it.  Clara was asleep for the first 5 minutes but then woke up to enjoy the rest!

We opened Christmas presents on Sunday morning and then in the afternoon helped Brian's dad figure out how to download music and put it on his new iPod that we got him.  Hailey and Clara played with a couple of the toys they got as well.  It was a fun, relaxing day!

We left on Monday morning, arrived home around noon, finished wrapping the rest of the gifts for Christmas day, got dressed and headed to church for the Christmas Eve 4:00 service.  After church, we went over to my parents' house for dinner.  We then came home, did our Advent wreath celebration, got cookies and milk out for Santa, read "The Night Before Christmas" and went to bed!

Brian and I woke up around 6:30 on Christmas morning.  We woke the girls up around 7 (I wonder how many more years we'll actually have to wake them up...I was always one to wake up way before my parents and siblings on Christmas morning!).  After seeing what Santa left for the girls and exchanging other presents, we got ready for the day and drove over to my parents' house to celebrate Christmas with my side of the family.  We opened lots of fun gifts, ate lots of good food, and had a great time!

A Hailey funny from Christmas morning...we asked her if she was happy with what Santa had brought her, and she said, "Yes, but he forgot one thing.  He forgot to bring me the royal carriage that would take me home from school." :-)  Yes, this was an actual request on her list!

Brian is off of work for the rest of this week and doesn't go back until next Wednesday, so we plan to work on cleaning up the basement and the house and getting a fresh new start to 2013!

 Celebrating Laura's 6th birthday!

Lights display at Center Park...





Getting ready to open presents with Grandma and Grandpa.

A cute new outfit!

Hailey was thrilled to receive this Princess Jasmine costume!  It's her favorite princess!

A quick picture before heading to the Christmas Eve service.

Cookies, milk, and letter all ready for Santa!

Coming down the stairs on Christmas morning!

Clara liked her sweaters she got from Mommy and Daddy.

Exchanging sister gifts...Clara got a Minnie Mouse figurine and Hailey a Connect 4 game.






 
One of my favorite gifts this year...a custom-made replica barn from Brian!  Made by Lane Custom Replicas


Even though this was our first real snowfall of the season, it hung around through Christmas and was beautiful!

Uncle David helps Hailey learn some things on her new LeapPad she got from Santa.

Clara and Natalie having fun running through Grammy and Poppy's house.

Laura and Hailey open one of the hottest toys of 2012...a Doc McStuffins interactive doll.  This is a popular new show on the Disney channel.

Clara got a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse playset!

Taking a nap in Laura's new bean bag chair.

Uncle Vince and Aunt Austin got the girls this easel.  Hailey painted this picture the next day...she was so excited I let her paint!  By the way, rainbows are her favorite thing to draw...there's one in almost every picture she draws!

Drywall and ceiling finished!  We can't drywall the one part of the closet due to the water piping being there.

A view to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment