Friday, March 8, 2019

Little House on the Prairie Quilt: Finished Quilts!

It took us four winters, but we finally finished the Little House quilts!  The last steps involved quilting the top, batting, and backing together, binding all the way around, embroidery stitching a label, and attaching the label.  One of the quilt shops I buy fabric from recommended a lady in Wisconsin (about 20 minutes from our house) who does custom quilting.  At first I thought that an "all-over" quilting design would not look good with all the different block designs and embroidery work we had done.  I thought that custom quilting in a few of the blocks and then "stitching in the ditch" for the rest of it would work better.  However, the quilter was able to show me some t-shirt memorabilia quilts she had done with an all-over quilting design and it actually looked great!  So, I then picked out an all-over design for our quilts, choosing a pattern called "Rose Garden".  I thought it was really pretty and fitting since Laura named her daughter, Rose.  The quilter had both quilts done in two days (thanks to the convenience of a long-arm quilting machine)!  I got to work on attaching the binding, embroidery stitching the labels, and then attaching the labels to the quilt back.  The labels also came from the Little House fabric line.  And then they were finished!  

These quilts will most likely be my most favorite quilting project I've ever done.  They contain so many wonderful memories of the girls and I settling in for bed each night and reading several pages or usually a whole chapter of the Little House books.  We laughed, we cried, we learned, and we loved every single book. The quilts also contain fabric and ideas from both of their grandmothers...an extra special touch of love sewn in.  I hope the quilts bring the girls lots of memories, joy, warmth, and love for years to come!


All finished!

A close-up of the quilting so you can see the Rose Garden design.

The back of the quilt. The fabric was the Ingalls' cabin printed all over.

Hailey's label

Clara's label

No comments:

Post a Comment