Little House on the Prairie Quilt: Quilt Top Assembled!
Now that all of the blocks were finished, the next step was sashing in between and around all of the blocks. I started working on this last winter and got about halfway done before life got busy again. This winter I was able to finish up the sashing and then add the borders. I wasn't going to add any borders initially, because I felt that it looked fine with just the sashing on. However, a few fellow quilters thought it would help to frame the blocks and give it a finished look. When I took the top to the lady who was going to quilt them for me, she showed me an example of someone who had put a darker border in between the sashing and the outer border with the color of the outer border being the same as the sashing. I liked it, because it framed everything but left the focus on the blocks. While I was finishing the borders, I ordered fabric for the back of the quilt. I noticed that one of the fabric websites was having a sale on the Little House on the Prairie fabric. I had the girls pick from two choices...one with a girl wearing a bonnet and running through the prairie (a part of this fabric was in one of the blocks) or one with the Ingalls' log cabin printed all over. They chose the latter. Once it arrived in the mail, I got it sewn together to make it wide enough to cover the back of the quilt. This past Monday, I brought everything over to the quilter and picked out a pattern for her to quilt. As I'm writing this, she just let me know that she has finished the quilts and they are ready to be picked up! A couple more steps and this fun and beloved project will be finished!

Sashing complete.
Borders added.
No comments:
Post a Comment