I figured I would try something new this year and start some of our seeds indoors. We are hoping to move the harvesting of some of the vegetables up a couple weeks and be able to enjoy more of them for a longer part of the growing season. We bought some seed flats and starter pots, organic soil, a natural fluorescent light, and heating pads. We used the heating pads (specifically made to fit under seed flats) to raise the temperature of the flat since we were putting them in the basement and the temperature is only about 55 degrees. Some seeds need warmer temperatures to even begin sprouting. The cauliflower and broccoli loved the heat, because they sprouted in just 3 days! I was definitely not expecting that to happen, so I'm a little leery they will turn out alright. The watermelon and rosemary have yet to sprout, so I put a couple new seeds in today. The cherry tomatoes started to sprout but then shriveled at the top, so I put some new seeds in those as well. The good thing is that if any of these don't work, I can always buy a starter plant at a local garden center! Gardening is always about trial and error and learning for the next year!

Getting everything planted and labeled.
The lids create a mini greenhouse and keep the soil moist to help the seeds sprout.
Once all the seeds have sprouted, we removed the lids and placed the light an inch over the plants. We'll raise the light as the seedlings grow taller so it remains an inch above them each time. If the light is too far up, the seedlings will concentrate on growing towards the light, becoming thin and weak.
The pepper plants are to the left as well as one of the Brandywine tomato plants (I'm leery of this turning out alright, too). The poppy plants (flowers) are doing great!
No comments:
Post a Comment