Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Pelicans on a Freshwater Lake?

One of our neighbors posted on our neighborhood Facebook page this morning pictures of pelicans on our freshwater lake.  At first, with it being April 1st and April Fool's Day, I thought maybe it was a joke, but she would have had to spend a lot of time at 7:00 in the morning to recompose the pelicans into the 4 pictures she posted.  So after Hailey got on the bus, Clara and I went down to the pier and took these pictures.  Another neighbor was doing the same...it's not often we see pelicans here!  There was also a loon and lots of seagulls flying around feeding.  It was a good sign that the fish survived the winter this year.  Last year we lost a lot of fish from the cold.


The loon was pretty close to the pier, so I was able to get some closer shots.

Pelicans in the back and loon in the forefront.

Six of them all together.  A little Google research shows they are called American White Pelicans.  They are one of the largest birds in North America with a 9 foot wing span.  They feed in inland shallow lakes.

The neighbor and I thought the males must be at the back of the pack, fluffing up their feathers for the females.

No comments:

Post a Comment