Monday, March 9, 2015

Garden Planning!

Yes, it's garden planning time at our house!!  Spring is right around the corner and that means we can get some cool weather crops in the ground as soon as the soil is ready.  We're also going to start some seeds indoors this year...our first time attempting this.  I'm hoping it works out well!  On Saturday, Brian and I laid out where we were going to plant everything.  Rotating crops is a must but can be a little tricky with making sure your taller plants are planted to the north to avoid shading the shorter plants.  We're planning to plant broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, tomatoes (two different varieties and a cherry), onions, zucchini, watermelon, cucumber (an eating and pickling one...I'm going to try canning some pickles this year), green beans, peas (two varieties), peppers (green, red, and yellow), and we already have garlic in the ground.  We won't be able to harvest our asparagus until next year, but we can't wait!  We're also adding dill and mustard to our herb garden.  So exciting!

Lots of good books to consult.

Garden layout.

Just a few of the seed packets (along with some onion starts).  I'm also hoping to learn how to collect seeds this year so I don't have to buy any next year.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment